This weekend at Knox

The Knox-Galesburg Symphony performs with Solenn Seguillon (violin) and Anne Suda (cello) in the Orpheum Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 13.  Pieces performed included “Concerto for Violin and Cello in A minor” (Op.102)  by Brahms, “Sparkle” by Bruce Polay and “City of Light” by Hovhaness. (Jason Deschamps/TKS)

The Knox-Galesburg Symphony performs with Solenn Seguillon (violin) and Anne Suda (cello) in the Orpheum Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 13. Pieces performed included “Concerto for Violin and Cello in A minor” (Op.102) by Brahms, “Sparkle” by Bruce Polay and “City of Light” by Hovhaness. (Jason Deschamps/TKS)

Friday, October 17

Knox Influence will be hosting spoken word poet Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai, who will be performing in Kresge Hall at 7:30 p.m. She is an advocate for poetry, feminism, multicultural awareness and social justice. A Student Poetry Slam and Q&A session will follow her performance. Doors open at 7:15 p.m.

Saturday, October 18

The Knox-Galesburg Symphony will  perform Brahms Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Opus 73 and von Weber’s “Silvana” Overture. The concert will feature Taiwanese violinist Huei Chang who will perform Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Opus 77. The event will be held at the Orpheum Theater at 7:30 p.m. Knox students and faculty can get tickets to this event at half-price with a Knox I.D.

Sunday, October 19

The Newman Club is hosting a visiting priest from the monastic order of the Community of St. John in Princeville, Illinois who will be holding a campus mass for the Knox community. The priest will hear confessions starting at 11:30 a.m. in Old Main 216. Mass will be held at 12:00 p.m. in the Common Room. The event will be followed by a light lunch and discussion with the priest.

Tags:  campus mass huei chang kelly zen-yie tsai knox influence knox-galesburg symphony Newman Club orpheum theater poetry slam spoken word

Crumble (Lay Me Down Justin Timberlake) to open tonight
Maria Hinojosa hopes to give voice to Latinos

Rachel Landman is a sophomore interested in journalism, creative writing and sociology. This is her first year working for TKS as Co-News Editor after having previously served as a news reporter. She became involved in journalism during her senior year of high school as one of the founding members of the student newspaper at Cottonwood Classical Preparatory School in Albuquerque, New Mexico.